Pete's RV Center, a US and Canada RV sales leader among Keystone RV dealersWest Coast and Midwest Click to Call Pete's RV Center NowEast Coast Click to Call Pete's RV Center NowHow to Import New or Used RV to Canada

Home > Help >

How to Import Your New or Used RV Into Canada

Pete’s RV Center can assist with importing your newly purchased recreation vehicle into Canada. We have helped hundreds of customers import their travel trailers, fifth wheels and campers into every Canadian province most especially Quebec, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, Labrador, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

Along with links to the appropriate reference documents found at the bottom of this page, the following list contains key information from Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) about the importation process:

  • Transport Canada defines a vehicle as any vehicle that is capable of being driven or drawn on roads. Trailers, such as recreational and camping are considered vehicles.
  • The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program registration fee is $195 CDN plus the goods and services tax (GST) (and the Quebec sales tax for vehicles entering through a port in Quebec). You also have to pay any customs and other import assessments, including taxes, that may apply. You then have 45 days to have the necessary changes made to your vehicle and have it inspected.
  • For a motorhome or other motorized vehicle, the original certificate of title must be submitted to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at least 72 hours before the vehicle is exported from the United States, and the vehicle must be presented to U.S. CBP at the time of exportation. There is no waiting period for a travel trailer, fifth wheel or other non-motorized vehicle. With title in hand, they can be taken directly to the border.
  • A recall clearance letter for your vehicle must be submitted directly to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) at the time of importation or immediately afterwards, otherwise the RIV will be unable to release the inspection form that you need to complete the necessary modification(s) to your vehicle.
  • You can import a vehicle from the United States without registering it in the RIV program if one of the following applies:
    • The vehicle if fifteen years old or older. You determine the age of the vehicle by the month and year it was manufactured. **DO NOT USE THE MODEL YEAR**
    • The vehicle was originally manufactured and certified to meet Canadian safety standards.
  • If you import a vehicle into Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Newfoundland and Labrador, you must pay the 5% GST on your importation, as well as the 8% provincial part of the harmonized sales tax (HST) when you license your vehicle.
  • Generally, you DO NOT have to pay duty on a vehicle imported for personal use that was manufactured in the United States, Canada or Mexico.
  • If your vehicle has air conditioning, you will have to pay an excise tax of $100 CDN.

Please note the above procedures, fees and tax rates may change without notice. It is important to review CBSA and RIV documentation in their entirety and refer to the website links below. Please feel free to contact Pete’s RV Center with further questions.

Helpful Documents